Blogging for YOUR benefit. Some strategies for surviving through the tough parts of your day. Remember, your disorder does not define you!

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Beginners Guide: Positive Mindset Checklist

Picture Taken By: Amanda Hirsch, Sunsetting @ 8:15 pm
Hello Warriors!

I had a really rough night last night due to not being able to sleep; however, I came up with a lot of new ideas to write about. What I keep forgetting to put on my blog is this, a positive checklist you can go through everyday to make sure you're heading in a happy direction of your choice. I have ADD so I know that when I don't have a structured schedule throughout my day I feel as if I'm stuck in a rut. Since I didn't mention the recent choice of leaving my past full-time nanny job, I have been feeling left in the dark so to speak. I was talking to my psychologist and she mentioned the thought of not having a schedule due to no job. She gave me the idea of making a checklist every night before waking up the next day. I know some of you have very busy lives with work/school etc. but there is always room for a little something here and there.

Here is an example I created for you all:

  • When waking up, remind yourself of a positive affirmation you want to set for your day. (Ex: I AM fearless. I AM grateful. I AM love) 
  • Remind yourself that your body needs some sort of quiet time in a day of any activity. Take a quick break for yourself and your mind, you can take a look at the sky/ clouds or find a focal point and let your mind wander. This can also be a time for meditation and mental awareness if that's within your practice. 
  • Help others, even if you are feeling absolutely lousy, there is always enough time to hold a door for someone, help carrying heavy objects, or even giving a compliment to a stranger. Often doing something for someone else continues the acts of kindness, maybe they'll pass along the kindness to someone else? Also, it helps you as well. 
  • Love- Remind your mind, and body that you love yourself! You were blessed with a body and a beautiful soul. Make sure your body is aware that it is loved. Don't forget that going throughout your day, it is OKAY to show others that you come into contact with love as well. Little actions and words can honestly make someone smile and change their whole perspective about their day. 
  • Honor your body- Just like giving yourself love, make sure you remind your body that you care for it. Prepare healthy and nourishing meals throughout your day. Don't go through big parts of your day without filling your tank with something fulfilling. Keep your heart AND stomach fullšŸ’–
  • Keep moving- Go out for a walk! Or if you don't have time for exercise, clean a little around your house/etc. Organize, and don't stop! In the end, your body and mind will thank you for using your energy towards something healthy. Whether it's breaking a sweat or working your mind, it feels good to work hard!
  • Lastly... Be open! Whether you've set high expectations in your day and you're feeling disappointed or angry about the outcome, tell yourself you did YOUR best today. Let go of the worry in your mind, and embrace the positive aspects that came in return. 
I love how this checklist incorporates everything in one's day that will help fill that spot in our heart and mind. It's important to know that even if the slightest negative thing happens, we can turn it around in an instant. I struggle with the fact that if I drop my coffee, slip and fall, or my card declines and I'm embarrassed, I always end with the big words THE WORLD IS ENDING in my head. They don't stop until I stand up and yell shut up. I struggle with a disorder that doesn't give me the ability to comprehend that some things don't go well in my days, and I need to move past it. I still struggle with the fact that this doesn't mean my life is over, or I need to sulk for the rest of the day, I tend to think life is supposed to be perfect, but mine isn't. I am no longer thinking in this way due to exercise, positive self talk, and meditation. I still fallback on my previous ways and it still is a never ending war, but typing this out for others to see and knowing I'm not alone is a really good feeling. 
No matter what obstacles you go through, remember to look at this checklist or a checklist of your own (it doesn't matter), just as long as it works for you. Incorporating these into your actions really gives a structure for your mind. It reminds you that you can do work and exercise as well as incorporating positive messages within every step of your day. 
Hold a door open for someone, buy someone in line behind you their order, tell the cashier lady that they are wonderful at their job, grab some food/jackets/hats/etc. and hand them out to people on the street near you. Any of these ideas pass along kindness, they create love, and we can never have enough love in this surrounding world of hate. Stand up for the girl in the neighborhood being bullied, help someone take their groceries to their car, or simply just smile at strangers passing by. There are so many actions we can all take, and if you are scared because you'll be the only one, don't worry... there are always people watching and silently thinking "I want to pass that along."

Be fearless, set goals, take action, and don't let anxiety bring you down.




No comments:

Post a Comment